Section 1179a of WRDA 2016 directs the Secretary of the Army to carry out a pilot program for the development and implementation of sediment management plans for reservoirs under the jurisdiction of the Secretary in the Upper Missouri River Basin, including the Missouri River watershed above Sioux City, Iowa.
The plans shall:
- Provide opportunities for project beneficiaries and other stakeholders to participate in sediment
- Evaluate the volume of sediment in a reservoir and impacts on storage capacity.
- Identify preliminary sediment management options, including sediment dikes and dredging.
- Assess technical feasibility, economic justification, and environmental impacts.
- Identify beneficial uses for sediment.
- Use, develop, & demonstrate innovative, cost-saving technologies, including structural and non-structural technologies & designs to manage sediment.
MSAC is working with local units of government and other organizations in pursuing the development of a sediment management plan for Lewis and Clark Lake. It is the smallest reservoir on the Upper Missouri River Mainstem System and is losing its designed water storage capacity the fastest. Already 30 to 35% of the reservoir is filled with sediment. By the year 2045, 50% of the reservoir is expected to be filled with sediment if nothing changes.
Look to this page for updates, resources and links.
If you are interested in learning more about this effort, contact MSAC at 605-661-1594 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No meetings are scheduled at this time (updated Oct. 18, 2018)
View the Sept. 21, 2018 Lewis and Clark Stakeholder Meeting in Niobrara at the link below. Paul Boyd, hydraulic engineer with the US Army Corps of Engineers/Omaha District, and Brad Thompson, planning branch/US Army Corps of Engineers/Omaha District delivered presentations at the meeting held at the Ponca Tribal Headquarters.
Corps Presentations Sept. 21, 2018
RESOURCES from MSAC
Section 1179 Fact Sheet (July 2018)
Implementation Guidance from the USACE — WRDA 2016 (see Section 1179a in the list)